365 days of SL, day 205:
(Click for larger — 1920x1033 PNG, 1714 KiB)
I've not really explored Rohanda yet, but I did look around a bit last night and came across this shipwreck. It's an off-sim object, BTW – those are not limited to rocks and mountains –, and the entire scene looks quite nice, I think.
And this is also a good opportunity to show how this sort of screenshot might be set up. The procedure last night was pretty typical:
- Set up the scene, with the right camera angle, distance and all that.
- Increase the draw distance to get more background details/objects.
- Turn on Shadows/Lighting to see if it makes the scene look better (usually, but not always).
- Find that there's problems with low skybox building (a skybox casting a large shadow on the ground, in this case) and lower the draw distance again until these problems go away again.
- Wait for clouds to look nice — blue sky rather than overcast gray.
- Figure that the clouds are never going to look just the way you want, and edit a new sky preset to manually lessen the cloud cover.
The following screenshots show all these steps, in order; the final step is shown above as the final screenshot.
1920x1033 PNG, 1688 KiB
800x430 JPEG, 59 KiB
1920x1033 PNG, 1743 KiB
800x430 JPEG, 61 KiB
1920x1033 PNG, 1681 KiB
800x430 JPEG, 56 KiB
1920x1033 PNG, 1686 KiB
800x430 JPEG, 57 KiB
1920x1033 PNG, 1777 KiB
800x430 JPEG, 63 KiB
One extra step that isn't shown here is selecting the right environment; but I already had it set to Noon here, and while I tried the other default settings (Morning, Evening, Midnight and sim-local time, which happened to be between Midnight and Dawn at the time), they didn't look as good.
On a side note, I was taking these shots while I was located a fair distance away, and when I actually went over to that corner of the sim a little later, I found that there were a few things there that SL had inexplicably not rendered before. I have no idea what's up with that, although it's not the first time it's happened; if somebody has any ideas what might be causing this, I'd be interested to hear them. The only thing I know is that it's not draw distance-related.
Location: Rohanda (218, 58, 21) (The Pond)